What is Duct Sealing?
In homes with forced-air heating and cooling systems, ductwork is used to distribute the conditioned air throughout. In most homes as much as 30% or more of this air is lost to leaks, holes, and poorly fitting connections. Even worse uninsulated ductwork often runs through unconditioned spaces such as attics and crawlspaces effectively leaking air to the outside.Essential areas to check are connections at vents and registers where they meet the floors, walls and ceilings. These are common locations to find leaks and disconnected ductwork.
At Energy Geeks our technicians are able to seal most leaks with a thick paint-like substance called duct sealing mastic. For larger holes fiberglass mesh tape is used in conjunction with duct sealing mastic. Lite duty and Heavy duty HVAC duct sealing tape (never use ordinary duct tape) is also very effective.
Following these steps is a great way to reap huge savings and increase comfort at very little cost. Many homeowners choose to work with a professional contractor for their duct sealing improvement projects.
A duct system that is properly sealed can make your home comfortable, energy efficient and safer.
Benefits of Duct Sealing:
- Sealing ducts can help with common comfort problems such as rooms that are hot in the summer or cold in the winter.
- Fumes from household chemicals and dust particles can enter your duct system and aggravate asthma and allergies. Sealing can help improve indoor air quality by reducing the risk of contaminants entering the ductwork and circulating through out your home.
- Properly sealed ducts can help reduce back-drafting where potentially dangerous gases such as carbon monoxide are drawn back into the living space through openings in the ductwork.
- Save up to 30% on your heating and cooling costs.
- The less energy your home uses the less pollution in the atmosphere and that’s a benefit to all of us.
How Much Does Duct Sealing Cost?
Very little when compared to the benefits.
Call Energy Geeks at (401)-766-1540 or contact us online for you free energy audit.